The phone vibrated by his computer. It was his mom.
"Hi, mom. What's up?"
"There was a letter for you. I didn't get it because it needed your signature. It's from LA County."
His heart skipped a beat. "Ok..."
"You need to go pick it up. I told them that you are at work and he said that you can pick it up on Saturday. They're open Saturday."
His mind raced. There are so many things this could be. A few days ago his mom scanned and emailed a letter from the LA County addressed to him. It said something about money being taken by the government. He assumed it was his college debt, which he knew about; UCLA had just taken possession of his state tax return. But this was different. He had no idea what it was about and he did not want anything to do with it. He's had enough trouble with the law to know it never ends well.
"Ok, I'll get it next week."
"Is this serious? Are you ok?"
"I don't know, mom. I'm at work right now. Can I talk to you later?"
"Ok. I'll scan the note they left me so you can go pick it up."
"Thanks, mom."
"Ok, bye."
"Bye." He hung up with a million thoughts running through his mind. This could be so many things. Did he do something to violate his probation? That would be the worst thing that could happen right now because it would mean jail time, losing his job, and starting all over again. What could it possibly be?
He suppresses the need to call everyone he knows for answers. There's no point. No one knows what is going on and the only way for him to find out is to pick up the letter, which he can't do this weekend because he's going out of town.
What could it possibly be?
No comments:
Post a Comment